Things to Do in Maine & New Hampshire This Weekend
It's the unofficial kickoff to summer. Memorial Day weekend is here and there are few better places to be than Maine and New Hampshire. From the beaches to the mountains to the all important Memorial Day parades, there is plenty to do and see this weekend thanks to our good friend Aimsel Ponti of MaineToday.com and The Portland Press Herald.
- You know it's the summer season in Maine when Palace Playland at Old Orchard Beach opens for business. The rides, games and attractions are all yours starting this weekend! And, of course, don't forget the fantastically famous Pier Fries! www.palaceplayland.com
- Legendary family fun resumes at York's Wild Kingdom just a little farther south this weekend. The zoo and amusements open this weekend so pile the kids in the car, pack a bag and get out there. A stroll down long sands beach might be a nice way to cap off your day. Details: www.yorkzoo.com
- There are some great movies out right now and if you're looking to do something a little different, you'll be happy to know that the DRIVE-IN'S are officially open for business! That includes Saco, Bridgeton, Pride's Corner and Skowhegan. Have fun!
- Take a break from the "maine land" and ferry over to Peak's Island. Reggae Sundays resume at Jones Landing. Doors open at 11:30 am every week and there's live reggae from bands like Royal Hammer, El Grande, Stream Reggae and others. Stream Reggae performs this weekend. Details here: www.joneslanding.net
- If you're looking for a freebie: Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay Harbor might be just the thing. Sure to get you in the Spring and Summer mood: mainegardens.org
- Another freebie idea; take a hike or bike ride on many of the area trails. Most, if not all, the suggested managed trails are listed here: trails.org
- Last but not least, the Memorial Day parades! There are so many parades taking place in and around the area. The Portland parade kicks off at One Longfellow Square at 10:30, MaineToday.com has a full list of parades by clicking right here!
- If you're in the North Conway area this weekend, the Memorial Day Sidewalk Sale at Settlers' Green kicks off at 9am Saturday. Save even more at over 60 brand name first-quality outlet stores at our sidewalk sale! Lots of deals of savings at your favorite brand name outlets.
- It's lilac time at Tarbin Gardins in Franklin, NH! You'll get a map, featured areas are flagged throughout the gardens and all plants are labeled. Bring a picnic lunch to eat in the Rose Garden Patio. The gardens are open from 10AM – 6PM.
Whatever you do and wherever you go, be safe and most importantly, HAVE FUN! Also, click here for your chance to win our "wicked ticket" which will get you into many, MANY concerts this summer. Happy Memorial Day Weekend!