This Haunted Maine Lighthouse Holds A Dark And Chilling Secret
Not far off of the coast of the small town of Phippsburgh and Popham Beach, you'll find a small island housing one of Maine's most historic lighthouses. The Seguin Island Light Station is rich in history, including being Maine's tallest lighthouse as well as being it's second oldest. Goerge Washington commissioned the lighthouse in 1795. But the Seguin Island Light Station's history also includes tales of hauntings, based on stories of a keeper who committed a brutal and chilling act.
According to Haunted Lights, the story begins sometime in the early 1800's. A keeper and his wife were set to spend the winter isolated away on Seguin Island. In hopes that his new bride wouldn't become depressed in isolation, the keeper had a piano brought to the island. Unfortunately, there was only one piece of music included with the piano, which the keeper's wife played over and over again.
The keeper had new music brought to the island in the hopes she would change her tune, but she did not. She continued to play the same song until one day, the keeper snapped, decimating the piano with an axe. Then, in a fit of rage, turned the axe on his bride. He eventually took his own life leaving the lighthouse unattended. Eventually people wondered what was wrong and ventured to the island to make the gruesome discovery.
The haunting of Seguin Island is no secret amongst sailors from the area. There continues to be stories of hearing piano music coming from the island as the keeper's wife still plays her song. Visitors to the island believe that there's still something strange that exists there.
The United States Coast Guard is now responsible for the lighthouse and foghorn on the island. A group called the Friends of the Seguin Island Light Station oversees the care of the island itself. There are consistent tours to Seguin Island throughout the summer as it continues to be one of Maine's most interesting, and perhaps haunted, islands in the state.