For the first time since fireworks became legal in Maine, someone has died from using them. The deceased had been drinking and horsing around with the fireworks and sustained a fatal head injury.

The State Fire Marshal's office says a 22-year-old from Calais was killed last night while he and his friends were firing off fireworks. Investigators say Devon Staples had placed the fireworks mortar tube on top of his head and set it off. The explosion caused a fatal head injury and he died instantly at around 10 p.m. Staples had been drinking with friends at one of their homes on South Street prior to the accident.

Fire investigators say there were also injuries from private fireworks incidents last night in the towns of Friendship, Jefferson, Lebanon, and Woodstock, involving burns and eye injuries.

More From 94.9 WHOM