Conway, New Hampshire Police Looking for Catalytic Converter Thieves
Conway, NH Police needs your help in finding thieves who have been stealing catalytic converters. Thieves steal catalytic converters because they contain precious metals, like platinum, that are valuable to metal dealers. A stolen converter may fetch a couple of hundred dollars. It costs up to $2,000 to replace a catalytic converter, so this is a big deal.
"The Conway Police Department is actively investigating several incidents involving the theft of catalytic converters. The suspect(s) appear to be specifically targeting older vehicles and Ford trucks. We believe this is due to the high scrap value. The places that were hit were commercial business where vehicles are kept along East Main Street in Center Conway and Eastman Road in Redstone."
According to The Spruce, here are some things you can do to help protect your car's catalytic converter:
- When you can, park in well-lit areas and close to building entrances.
- If you have a garage at your house, park your car inside and keep the garage door shut.
- Have the catalytic converter welded to your car's frame.
- Consider engraving your VIN on your catalytic converter — this may help alert a scrap dealer that it was stolen.
- Calibrate your car's alarm to set off when it detects vibration.
If you have surveillance footage or information that you would be willing to share, please contact Detective Hill at 603-356-5715 Or Jhill@conwaypd.com.