A small child has died after going to the Oxford Fair with his family in September.

According to multiple sources, 20-month-old Colton Guay died after contracting hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS), which sometimes follows exposure to E.coli bacteria.

It is believed that the child was infected after coming into contact with animals in the petting zoo area of the fair.

According to the Bangor Daily News, Colton's father, John Guay, wrote on facebook, "It began with severe diarrhea and ended with massive brain seizures that ultimately took his life.”

The Maine Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have confirmed that two children have been hospitalized for E. coli symptoms after they visited the Oxford Fair. They are currently working with multiple state authorities to determine the exact cause of the outbreak.

As with many bacterial infections, the very young and the very old are the most susceptible to becoming ill as a result of exposure.

According to the CDC, washing hands with soap and hot water after touching animals and before meals significantly reduces the risk of illness.


#BREAKING: The father of a toddler who contracted E. Coli at the Oxford County fair says his son has passed awayThe Maine CDC confirms two children contracted E. Coli last month at the Oxford County Fair.

Posted by WCSH 6 on Tuesday, October 6, 2015

More From 94.9 WHOM