Why Can’t We Have A Civil Discussion About Politics Anymore?
The answer is simple. As a nation, we've become emotional rather than logical. Instead of being proactive, we react. And, we've become apathetic to the opinions and feelings of other people.
Here are five tips from a former mental health counselor (That would be me.) on how to talk politics without losing your cool.:
(1) Listen calmly. (Don't forget to breathe.)
(2) Let the other person finish their thoughts, before you interrupt. It's disrespectful to interrupt, even if you don't agree with what he or she is saying. Remember that it is okay for others to have a different opinion than you.
(3) Stay logical rather than emotional. Don't react; be proactive.
(4) Ask questions for clarification.
(5) Then, present your point of view with some facts to back up what you are saying. Don't engage in what I like to call "word vomit" without educating yourself.