Throwback to the Best Crashes Ever at Maine’s Beech Ridge Motor Speedway
It's been almost a year since we lost the iconic Beech Ridge Motor Speedway. Jaws were on the floor...or should we say, the track, back in September of 2021 when it was announced that Scarborough's iconic Beech Ridge Motor Speedway had been sold to an unnamed real estate developer.
Beech Ridge started in 1949, and over 2000 drivers competed at this legendary short track.
If you ever went to the speedway, you know it was a real family affair. Many of the local drivers who compete only made enough prize money to be able to take care of their vehicle so they could race again...a true labor of love.
And then there are the crashes! The flips! The burnouts!
Below are some of our favorite thrills and spills.
The annual Car Wars at Beech Ridge was always a crowd-pleaser. Check out this awesome action:
Did someone say BACKWARDS drag racing? Yup. These drivers were actually damn good at racing in reverse. Don't try this at home, kids!
Perhaps my favorite annual event was the ramp jump competition at Car Wars. So fun!
- Beech Ridge was one of about 900 short tracks in the USA
- Since 1949, 75 different drivers have been crowned champions at Beech Ridge.
- Beech Ridge was the only short track that gives their winners checkered flags to keep forever.
- There are a bunch of drivers who came out of Beech Ridge and had great racing careers. Former NASCAR Sprint Cup driver and Maine native Ricky Craven, Joe Bessey, Kevin Lepage, and Steve Park all raced at Beech Ridge.
- Long live Beech Ridge, and thanks for the great memories!