Some Maine Memorial Day Parades Have Been Canceled
Because of the rain and forecast, many of Maine's Memorial Day parades and ceremonies have been moved or canceled.
- Falmouth parade canceled
- Westbrook parade canceled
- South Portland parade canceled
- Cape Elizabeth parade canceled
- Portland parade canceled
- Yarmouth parade canceled
- Wells parade canceled
- Scarborough parade canceled
- Ogunquit parade canceled
- Kennebunkport parade canceled
- Windham parade canceled
- Cumberland Fun Run, Community Band concert and parade have been cancelled. 5K race still happening
- Sanford-parade has been canceled and ceremony moved inside to Sanford Memorial Gym at 10am
- Freeport-parade is canceled and ceremony now at Freeport High School at 9:30
- Biddeford/Saco-parade canceled and ceremony now moved to J. Richard Martin Community Center at 10am
Remember, you don't have to have a parade to remember the fallen. Townsquare Media Maine salutes and remembers those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. The folks at Arlington National Cemetery said it best today:
"It is a time to honor the lives, courage and legacy of our fallen service members. From the fields of Gettysburg and the beaches of Normandy to the deserts and mountains of Iraq and Afghanistan, casualties from all of America's major conflicts rest in these hallowed grounds. This place is a memorial to all those who've given what Abraham Lincoln called "the last full measure of devotion".
It is important to not only recognize the service of those who have gone before us but to ensure that the purpose for which they fought will never be forgotten. So please join us in taking time today to remember those who paid the ultimate sacrifice throughout our nation's history."