3-Month-Old Puppy Somehow Survives After Swallowing Knife
This is not what they mean by "growing pains."
A 12-week-old Staffordshire Bull Terrier named Macie is on the mend after she recently swallowed an 8-inch kitchen knife.
"Macie was making a squeaking sound -- I thought she'd swallowed part of a toy," said Macie's owner, Irene Paisley. "Then she was sick, but there was no sign of a toy and she started choking."
Paisley rushed the pup to the People's Dispensary for Sick Animals, where X-rays quickly shed some light on the problem:
The knife handle had passed through Macie’s stomach and into her intestines, while the tip of the knife was still in her gullet. She underwent emergency surgery straight away to remove the knife."
Neither Paisley nor anyone else in her house has a clue how Macie managed to scarf down the knife. However it happened, the good news remains that she is expected to be okay. One vet said, "She was extremely lucky to survive. Her saving grace was that she swallowed the handle-end first -- the blade-end would undoubtedly have pierced her organs, likely causing fatal injuries."