Mainers, Here Are Some Tips For Clearing Snow From Your Roof [VIDEO]
This heavy snow can damage roofs, especially flat roofs, older roofs or roofs that have issues. according to Maine.gov it's important to clear them off.
Here are some tips:
- Hire an insured professional to do it, the combination of ice and height make this a dangerous undertaking.
- When using a roof rake start from the edge of the roof and pull down just a few inches at a time, making sure to to stand back out of the way of the falling snow.
- Leave two to three inches of snow on the roof to avoid damaging it. You don't want to scrape down to the shingles.
- Watch out for power lines!
- Knock down icicles before you begin.
- Never use an electrical device like a blow dryer or heat gun. Water+Electricity=Danger!
- Don't climb ladders to remove ice and snow. Get the right tool for the job, a roof rake or snow cutter!