Waiting for Downton – A List of What to Watch Until Season 4 Arrives
The long awaited Season 4 of Downton Abbey will begin January 5th on PBS. While waiting for Lady Mary, the Earl of Grantham & Mr. Carson to grace our TV screens, I've come up with a list of shows to entertain until then.
- Cranford is set in 1840's England where the ladies love gossip, fine clothing and a little romance. Award winning actress Judi Dench stars. You'll recognize Downton Abbey stars Jim Brown (Mr. Carson) and Michelle Dockery (Lady Mary). Tom Hiddleston (Thor's Loki) also makes an appearance in several episodes.
- Little Dorrit is based on the Charles Dickens' novel. The series tells the story of Amy Dorrit, who earns money for the family and looks after her father at Marshalsea debtors' prison in London. Amy's life is transformed when her boss's son, Arthur Clennam, returns from abroad to solve his family's mysterious legacy and discovers that their lives are connected.
- Tess of the D'Ubervilles is the classic tale based on the Thomas Hardy novel. Gemma Arterton stars as the proud Tess who is doomed to tragedy.
- Upstairs Downstairs, the 2010 version is set in 1936 where new family and their servants live at the London townhouse at 165 Eaton Place.
- Bleak House is another Charles Dickens' based series. Gillian Anderson and Carey Mulligan star in this dark tale typical of Dickens.
You'll be able to catch up on these on Hulu, Netflix & Amazon. If you enjoy, Downton Abbey, I think that you enjoy the above suggestions as well. So, sip on a cup of tea and relax with some fine British TV.