Student Financial Aid Now is the Time to File [Audio]
Don't think that college is out of reach because of cost. After 8.5 years of putting two sons through college, I've learned a few things along the way. One of the first things to do when financing a college education is to fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
- The application is free. Don't pay to apply for financial aid.
- Apply early. Be first in line to let colleges know that financial aid is needed. Don't procrastinate and miss a deadline. First week in January is good.
- Don't rule out private colleges. Sometimes with financial aid, it can be cheaper to go to a private private school than public university.
- You can file your FAFSA before filing your income taxes. An estimate is fine and the FAFSA can be corrected later.
- There's plenty of free help out there. High school student councilors are a great resource for learning about scholarships. FAME (Finance Authority of Maine) is another good place for information.
- Don't think that you make too much money to apply for college aid.