Portland, Maine Makes The List Of Top 50 Coldest Cities In America
We're not sure if making this list is a good thing or not, but congratulations anyway, Portland. You're one of the coldest cities in the country.
24/7 Wall Street found the normal low temperature of a US cities coldest month and came up with the 50 coldest cities in the country. Portland is on the low end of the list at number 32 with these stats.
- Normal low in coldest month: 13.4° F
- Lowest temp. on record: -39° F
- Annual avg. snowfall: 69.6 in.
- Avg. wind speed: 8.0 mph
The winner? No surprise it's Fairbanks, Alaska with these bone chilling stats
- Normal low in coldest month: -16.9° F
- Lowest temp. on record: -66° F
- Annual avg. snowfall: 64.5 in.
- Avg. wind speed: 4.4 mph
Funny thing is, while Portland's average low in the coldest month is 30 degrees warmer than Fairbanks, Portland has more average snowfall in a year. With a normal low of -16.9°, it's seems like it's just too cold to snow more in Alaska.