Friday the 13th Superstitions!
Many people believe that Friday the 13th is the most unlucky day of the year. A study done by The Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute found that between 17 to 21 million Americans suffer from a fear of Friday the 13th. That's a lot of people hanging out in bed waiting for the day to pass and avoiding daily tasks,doing business and traveling! The number 13 has been believed to be cursed for many years. Some cities exclude 13th Street or a 13th Avenue, a lot of high-rise buildings don't have a 13th floor, some hospitals don't have a room number 13 and some airports don't have a gate 13! The most unlucky day of the week is considered to be Friday. Superstitious people people believe Friday is an unlucky day to take a trip, start a project or to have a huge life change, like having a baby or getting married.
Here are some myths and superstitions related to Friday the 13th:
- If you cut your hair on Friday the 13th, someone in your family will die.
- If a funeral procession passes you on Friday the 13th, you will be the next to die.
- Babies born on the date are unlucky for life.
- Trips begun on Friday the 13th will be plagued by misfortune.
- Breaking a mirror on this date results in 7 years of bad luck.
- The official word for this phobia is Paraskevidektriaphobia.
Are you superstitious? Share with us on our Fan page or tweet #fridaythe13th.
Watch out for black cats today. Just sayin'...