Cut Your Own Christmas Tree for $5
Want a Christmas tree for only $5? Make an adventure of it and head into the White Mountain National Forest and cut your own. It won't be a perfect tree, but you'll have a nice story to tell about your tree. Dress warmly!A Christmas tree permit can be purchased for $5, cash or check only - from the White Mountain National Forest. Offices are located in Campton, Gorham, Conway, and Lincoln, NH.
- Trees are for personal use only, not for resale. Each family may cut one tree per permit. (One Christmas tree permit per family)
- Use only hand tools to cut Christmas trees. Chainsaws are not permitted.
- Make sure you are on National Forest land. Respect the rights of landowners when crossing private property.
- Do not cut trees in or near campgrounds, picnic areas, Experimental Forests, Wilderness, timber sale areas, or within 100' of a state highway. When you purchase the permit ask if there are any known "off limit" areas.
- Do not cut trees larger than 8" in diameter at chest height.
- Cut your tree so remaining stumps will be less than 10" in height.
- Attach your tree tag after cutting and before transporting your tree.
What do you think about this story? Share your comments here on our web site and on our Facebook and Twitter pages under the hashtag #CheapChristmasTree