Becoming A “Mainer”
I finally made my big move over the weekend into the great state of Maine. I started saying to people, "I'm so glad that I'm a Mainer now!" But a few people, including my lovely co-host Anna, said something along the lines of, "not so fast, buddy!"
You see, it looks like you don't become a "Mainer" simply by moving your things and getting a job here. So I decided that I needed to put together a list of things that I need to do in order to become an official Mainer. We opened the phone lines this morning, and got a lot of response. Here are a just few things that people suggested should be on my list:
- Go to a Maine Church Supper
- Survive through all five seasons of Maine (Winter, Mud, Bugs, August, Fall)
- Go Lobstering
- Blueberry picking
- Clamming out in the flatts
- Apple picking at an orchard
- Learn to talk like a Mainer
- Have a Lobster Roll from Bayley's in Scarborough
- Get pinched by a crab
It looks like I have a ways to go. I guess for now I'll have to settle for being "from away"...haha!